Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Steamy Review: Island of Icarus

Island of Icarus by Christine Danse



Jacket Blurb:
Field Journal of Jonathan Orms, 1893

En route to polite exile in the Galapagos Islands (field work, to quote the dean of my university), I have found myself marooned on a deserted tropical paradise. Deserted, that is, except for my savior, a mysterious American called Marcus. He is an inventor—and the proof of his greatness is the marvelous new clockwork arm he has created to replace the unsightly one that was ruined in my shipboard mishap.

Marcus has a truly brilliant mind and the gentlest hands, which cause me to quiver in an unfamiliar but rather pleasant way. Surely it is only my craving for human companionship that draws me to this man, nothing more? He says a ship will pass this way in a few months, but I am welcome to stay as long as I like. The thought of leaving Marcus becomes more untenable with each passing day, though staying would be fatal to my career...


I'm so glad I finally got a chance to read this. I applied for an ARC through NetGalley, but Carina Press didn't want me. *mopes dramatically* As a result, I had to wait for it to come out and buy it. *more moping* It was totally worth it, though. Combine men, romance, and steampunk, and I'll be there.

Island of Icarus starts off with a wonderfully familiar romantic scenario: our hero is shipwrecked, and he is rescued by a handsome island recluse. However, because we're dealing with queer genre romance, Danse gives us lots of little twists and turns to keep us interested. From the moment Jonathan hits the island, things take on a steampunk feel. We experience, through him, the wonders of his rescuer's workshop, and the man capable of creating such brilliant inventions. Jonathan himself is interesting because he is unaware of his own sexuality: all he knows is that he has run away from a respectable betrothal, and so he believes that there is something deeply wrong with him.

This aspect constitutes some of the charm in this story: these two men act like Victorian men, even as they fall desperately in love. Barriers of society and upbringing are constantly threatening them, and their reservations about their relationship are valid, since they live in a time where being a man who loves men could be very dangerous, or at least damaging. And, yes, when the boys get down, it is hot. Where other books with similar scenarios might focus on the politics, Danse handles her themes deftly, spinning a wonderful love story, and bringing her lovers, and the reader, to a satisfying conclusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment