Thursday, April 7, 2011

Commentary: Chocolatiers of the High Winds

I've been remiss. Circlet Press has been running a gay steampunk erotica series for ages, and I have not been reading it. I have no excuse to offer, but I've decided to remedy that now. I'll be posting comments here as I read it, and anyone is welcome to read along and post their own reaction in the comments.

Ready for an adventure? :-)

Chapter 1: Runaway

(Go read that and meet me back here.)

I like the world building going on here. I'm obviously all about steampunk worlds, and Kurtzwilde has taken a lot of care with this universe. However, I found this to be a slow start. One usually expects some erotic action to show up fairly quickly in serials, but Kurtzwilde is writing this more like a novel. On the one hand, I understand why this would be done; on the other, I'm a shameless fangirl who wants to see boys getting it on.

This chapter really began for me when Mayport meets up with Cully. The house full of treasures made me feel securely in neo-Victorian territory, and the dialogue grabbed my attention. No sexiness in this chapter, it seems, but a tantalizing hint of mystery and intrigue. I'm definitely ready for the next chapter. :-)

Comments are love! I want to hear what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment