Friday, January 27, 2012

Erotica 101: In the Cut by Susanna Moore

I'm not going to do formal reviews of the stuff I'm reading for this project, but I am going to write down some stray thoughts as I go. I started with In the Cut, because BBC's Sherlock has me in the mood for mysteries and thrillers. (Seriously, though, the third season of Sherlock can't come soon enough. *sobsob*)

So, this book... It's been following me around for the last week or so. I devoured it pretty quickly. Moore has this dreamy style that at the same time comes across as harsh and black-and-white. It's very noir, very sexy, and very very dark. I still don't know if I'd read it again. I was stunned by the ending, although I really shouldn't have been.

A major theme in Cut was word play, and the meaning of words, and the power of slang. As a word nerd, this only made the book sexier for me. The narrator is constantly weighing the power and beauty of words, deciding whether each one is good or bad, parsing its origins, trying to make sense of her ludicrous situation using them. (Boy, I really wrote myself into a subject-verb agreement corner right there. Nevermind. This is my blog, and I'm choosing bad grammar. Nyah.)

Yeah, I would probably read it again, but only if I was in a pretty good mood to start with. In the Cut is definitely not a book to read if you're bummed out. Totally worth it, though. Beautiful book. However, next I'm going to read something a little more lighthearted.

No comments:

Post a Comment